Thursday, September 24, 2009

THERE ARE GHOSTS HERE

How can you not believe in them? They come unbidden at any time, they flit about the periphery of all of us, dipping into view at will. Not all rattle chains or leap from behind tombstones: some are benevolent, some seek only to make us smile, and some are just there-waiting to be acknowledged. They haunt us all in one way or another, in every good and bad sense of the word. They exist in every culture in every distant land, and they are everywhere humanity has taken hold. No graveyard contains them, no exorcism will rid you of them.

What is a memory but a Ghost disguised by another name? They can be triggered by the simplest of things: an overheard snatch of conversation, a song unheard in years, the laughter of others, a look of sadness on a familiar looking strangers face, even an aroma, or a tactile sensation is capable of unleashing the oddest of phantoms from their dormant states.

If we are lucky, each of us will become shades that will haunt others-one of the benevolent ones that will bring a smile or a wistful feeling to those who allowed us to be buried in their own mental graveyard.

Yes there are Ghosts here, and they haunt me every night. Some make me smile, some make me sweat, some make me cry, and some just plain terrify me.

And I cherish each and every one.

I pray that I join them someday.

Happy Hauntings

No comments:

Post a Comment